- Australian Legal Tender
- $1 Aluminium Bronze
- Illustrated Cards in a Souvenir Album
- Authorised by the Australian Olympic Committee
From the awe inspiring opening ceremony to the sheer excitement of the competition, the London 2012 Olympic Games will feature thousands of athletes, 26 sports and 205 participating countries.
Australia has been represented at every Olympic Games and all but four Olympic Winter Games in the modern era since 1896. Australia hosted the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956 and the incredibly successful Games of Sydney 2000.
Originally, the ancient Olympic Games were held in Olympia, Greece, from the 8th century BC to the 5th century AD. The modern Games held under the auspices of the International Olympic Committee were first hosted in Athens in 1896. These Games brought together 14 nations and 241 athletes who competed in 43 events.
As the Olympic torch is lit, so will it ignite the hopes of all Australians, to hear again, the famous words uttered by Norman May, “Gold! Gold to Australia! Gold!”
Olympic Reverse DesignsThis stunning five-coin set is struck from aluminium bronze, and designed to inspire. The reverse designs comprise:
- An Olympic runner with the inscription FASTER.
- An Olympic pole-vaulter with the inscription HIGHER.
- An Olympic weight-lifter with the inscription STRONGER.
- An Olympian in a triumphant pose with arms raised and the inscription VICTORY.
- The Australian Olympic Team’s mascot, the boxing kangaroo.
Australian Legal TenderIssued as Australian legal tender, each aluminium bronze coin’s obverse depicts the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination
Illustrated Cards in a Souvenir AlbumEach coin is housed in an illustrated presentation card and is displayed in a $1 coin album with a specially designed souvenir cover.
2012 Australian Olympic Team $1 Five-Coin Set Aluminium Bronze